Wednesday, May 30, 2012

French Accountability - Days 10-14

So, since I take these lessons first thing in the morning at work, getting a chance to blog about them is tough when things get busy.  Basically I pop my lesson and then dive into grinding out code.  There is my excuse, I stand by it, I've been busy - deal with it. :)

Anyway, Thursday and Friday of last week got lessons.  Sunday through Monday were off due to a holiday and now Tuesday through Thursday have has at least a lesson each. 

But now, since it's immersion, you don't get explanations about grammar and such.  So I get why it would be `Cet homme` and Cette femme`.  But why then is it `Ce garçon`?  The examples were along the lines of `Cet homme est d'Australie.` and `Ce garçon est de France`.  I can memorize this, and maybe that's all it is; but some context would make it easier to recall.  Immersion is great, but sometimes a bit of a back story is nice too.  Still busy, back to it!

Au revoir!

2 comments:

  1. Use "cet" for words that start with "h", like "homme". The pronunciation is the same though. Use "ce" for all others (masculin only). "ce homme" is bad grammar. There is a similar English rule with words that start with vowels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the clarification. So if I understand correctly, I would use:

      Cet homme...
      Cette femme...
      Ce chat...
      Cette voiture...
      Ce manteau...

      Oui?

      Delete